Category

17 January, 2021

Nkhani Mchitumbuka

Malawi News Updates

Shop caught fire in Dowa

Shop caught fire in Dowa, owner injured

A businessman has been injured in Dowa after his shop caught fire on Monday afternoon.

The victim has been identified as Isaac Tembo aged 53 from Muzu Village in the area of Traditional Authority Njewa in Lilongwe.

Sub Inspector Gladson M’bumpha, Dowa Police Public Relations Officer (PRO) said the incident happened at Dowa Boma Market when Tembo had just arrived at his shop with over 200 litres of petrol.

“It is reported that apart from operating a welding shop, the victim also sells petrol in small quantities and on this day he claimed to have bought 200 litres of petrol from Njewa Energerm Filling Station in Lilongwe. Tembo alleged that as soon as he had just entered into the shop, the fire broke out forcing the shop to go into flames. Following the incident, Tembo sustained burns on both legs and was taken to Dowa District Hospital where he is still receiving treatment.”

Explained M’bumpha

The Dowa Police PRO indicated that investigations are underway to establish the extent of the damage.

“Police in Dowa is advising the general public to refrain from keeping fuel and other flammable substances in their shops or houses to avoid such incidents.” Advised M’bumpha